Thursday, March 6, 2014

Fervently Pursues the 21Day Sugar Detox

     The 21day sugar detox is buzzing around the net these days and I was very curious to discover why. Since beginning my Paleo journey 3years ago, I have been on the look out for healthy alternatives to comfort and fun foods. While I believe that eating whole foods is essential to good health, I also believe that occasionally enjoying foods that have positive memories for us will help keep us balanced. In general my family likes to stick to an 80/20 approach to eating. However, if and whenever possible, I like to create those foods with better ingredients. For instance, does ice cream really need artificial  flavors and colors when we have cream, vanilla and sugar?  I am very skeptical of laboratory created flavor enhancers. 
     Another important component to enjoying comfort foods, especially if that means Doritos and diet coke (just for explanation- I don't like diet anything or soda for that matter) is defining just exactly what is meant by moderation. 
     Moderation: a controversial definition. 
 Moderation 
[The urban dictionary]. The ability to exercise self-control while enforcing one's will power to resist certain situations a person puts themselves in too often.
[merriam-webster]  a :  avoiding extremes of behavior or expression :  observing reasonable limits <a moderate drinker>
       When I read other people's passionate defense for consuming diet soda, I can't help but notice they always say something like "I limit myself to 1or 2 cans per day." Did you know that a serving of soda is actually about 6oz? That means that one 12oz can is 2 servings!!!! 2cans per day then is really 4servings -not so moderate now. If we then compare servings to the 16.9oz or 20oz bottles most Americans consume in place of cans, we are talking about nearly 3-4 servings in one bottle.  If we were talking about alcohol using the same language; I need my diet coke, I only drink 2cans per day, etc., most people would think this person may have a drinking problem. Additionally, the negative effects of consuming junk foods daily includes things like, diabetes, stroke, cancer, brain function and inflammation just to name a few. So you can see why it's important to limit intake of these foods. 
     The 21Day Sugar Detox was created by Diane Sanfilippo a Holistic Nutritionist at Balanced Bites 
{http://balancedbites.com/meet-the-team }; as a way for people to ease into a healthier lifestyle. 
     Last week while shopping at Costco I came upon the 21Day Sugar Detox cookbook. While looking through it my 12 year old daughter asked me about this cook book that has PANCAKES on the front! I've always taught my kids about the nutritional value of foods, and the lack there of in junk foods. I cook mostly paleo or whole foods for my kids for health reasons but, like I said before, we do occasionally enjoy some junks foods. My daughter loves to bake and make smoothies, and she has a passionate attachment to pancakes. So I proposed to her an experiment.  Follow the 21Day Sugar Detox and Blog about it! After thinking on it, and getting very excited over the recipes, she agreed. 
     Beginning on Monday March 10,2014, Zoe will be journaling her experiences every day. A couple times each week she will be making some of the recipes and sharing about here and on her vlog [cupcakebeauty01]on YouTube [http://youtu.be/oRHoaLnKKVU]
She would love to have you follow along and cheer her on, or journey with her!  
One important note: This is NOT A Diet!! 
She will not be restricting calories or consuming anything that is dangerous to her health. This is merely a fun experiment to add to her already well balanced diet and lifestyle. 

Portion and Moderation Links
https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/obesity/wecan/eat-right/distortion.htm

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/obesity/wecan/eat-right/portion-distortion.htm

21day sugar detox 
Explanation
http://balancedbites.com/2013/12/faqs-all-about-the-21-day-sugar-detox-cookbook.html

Support
http://the21daysugardetox.com


Disclaimer 
[ My Blog is for entertainment purposes only. You should do your own research and discuss all changes with your doctor. I reserve the right to delete, block and report any and all inappropriate, slanderous, or threatening responses to my blog, Facebook page or vlog. If you have a problem with the content please email me and I will handle it. Thank you] 

No comments:

Post a Comment