Thursday, March 6, 2014

Fervently in Pursuit of Shepard's Pie

Few things say comfort foods to me like good ole Shepard's Pie. Of coarse you can find a perfectly suitable recipe on just about any recipe site. But I like to change things up so I'm sharing my most recent version - complete with 7 thumbs up! 
If you try this and like it please share below! 

 Fervently in pursuit of Shepard's pie

This makes a 9x13 inch pan worth

2lbs ground meat
6 celery sticks
5-6 small carrots
6 scallions
1 rutabaga
1cup of green beans
1cup peas
6 small potatoes
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter 
4 cloves garlic minced
 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1c cold water with
         1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
1 cup of bone broth 
[or 2 cups of cold bone broth]
1 6oz can of tomato paste
Steak seasoning, No Salt Seasoning/21 spice, granular kelp

Chop all the veggies, place 1/2 the rutabaga in a bowl with chopped potatoes. 
 Preheat oven to 350F
Sauté celery, carrots and 1/2 the rutabaga in 2T butter, Season to taste for 7-10 minutes. Add green beans, peas, onion/scallion, garlic and cook on low until beans are hot. I added a little kelp at this point.
Move veggies to 9x13" pan. 
Cook potatoes and rutabaga. I cook mine in the microwave in a covered bowl with a cup or so of water. 
Brown and season the meat.
Place meat on top of veggies.
Deglaze the pan with balsamic vinegar then add the water and/or bone broth. Heat for 2 mins then stir in tomato paste. Heat 1 more minute. Pour/spread over meat.
Drain the water and Mash the potato/ rutabaga with 4T butter and a little milk if you like. Spread evenly over the meat. 
If you eat cheese, we add shredded cheddar at this point. 
Bake for 20 mins or until cheese is melted to your liking. 

* for ease of reading I omitted the word organic from the recipe. However, I used organic wherever possible. 
 If you like my recipe please share a link to my blog thanks

 

         
 

No comments:

Post a Comment