Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Adventures in Cauliflower: Cauli Rice Carbonara

Today I'm going to share a super simple, last minute, toss it in the pan kind of recipe. I've tried different versions of carbonara. This is my version. 

Cauli Rice Carbonara
1batch cauli rice 
1/2 onion finely chopped
3-5 cloves garlic minced
Bacon crumbles
1T Lard aka bacon grease -yep you read that correctly! 
1egg + 1T water whisked
1-2 T  Italian seasoning
1-2 T  21 no salt seasoning
Sea salt & pepper to taste
1 cup shredded Parmeggano-reggiano (Parmesan cheese would be fine as well) 

Instructions
1. Heat pan and oil over med-high heat. 
2. Sauté onions until translucent. 
3. Add cauli rice and cook 5-7mins
4. Add bacon crumbles, lard and egg -combine well 
5. Stir in shredded parmeggano-reggiano and season to taste. 
6. Cook a few mixtures longer and serve. 
     
     I say season to taste because I prefer more seasoning, I realize that some people prefer less. For this recipe I use 2tablepoons of of each seasoning.
     I could enjoy this carbonara any time of day! The flavors are so soft and mild, it could easily become a comfort food. My toddler loved it so much he ate 4 servings. As a matter of fact, my entire family loves this recipe. They were actually sad that I only made a half batch for my first try. Needless to say, this will be a regular staple in our home. This dish stores nicely in the fridge. I'm not sure about freezing it, if you try it let me know! 
                                                                  
                                    
                                                      {4th bowl-I think this says it all!}
           If you try this recipe let me know, have questions or comments please post them below. 
                                                      Thanks for reading!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment