Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Protein Powerhouse Pumpkin muffins

     It's pumpkin season! Maybe you've heard? You know simply becuase pumpkins are ripening right this time of year, every business takes it upon themselves to utilize this fact as a marketing campaign. Why not me? 


      Actually, I didn't set out to jump on the pumpkin fluff bandwagon.  I was just cleaning out my freezer for the incoming fall crop when I ran across a container of pumpkin purée from last winter.  Moreover, I was looking for easy foods I could cook up to send with my kids for school lunches. What could be easier than muffins?  
     The best part of cooking paleo is knowing that I can I enjoy my favorite foods but they are also meeting my nutritional needs. Not only do these muffins contain loads of protein, but veggies too! No wasted calories in this recipe! 
     At first glance it you might be surprised by the amount of spices in this recipe. I assure you it is not over powering. While coconut flour is fairly mild, when mixed into batter it can be difficult sometimes to taste anything else, especially since I also used coconut oil. In this recipe, I worked really hard to minimize the coconut flavor and create that fluffy muffin texture I always got when baking with wheat. Additionally, I used my muffin top pan for this recipe.  I have regular muffin pans too but I tend to use the muffin top pan more often. The cooking times may vary for traditional muffin pans. 



Protein Power House Pumpkin muffins
Makes approximately 14 muffins
Prep time 5-10 minutes 
Cooking time 25-30 minutes

2 1/2 cups Pumpkin purée 
1 cup Coconut Flour 
1/2C Arrowroot Powder
1 tbsp Aluminum-Free Baking Powder (2T if your using regular muffin tins) 
6 Whole eggs
1/2 cup Pure Maple Syrup (honey would do well too) 
2 tbsp Cinnimon
2 tbsp All Spice
2 tsp Cardamom 
1/2 cup Coconut Oil - melted 

 Topping 
1/8 C date sugar (other options would be acceptable, such as coconut palm sugar,  maple sugar, turbinado) 
1 teaspoon cinnimon 

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350F 

Grease your muffin tin well with coconut oil or use liners. Be sure to oil in between each set if reusing the same pan. 

I used a bowl and whisk for this recipe, a mixer on low speed would work fine as well. 

In a large mixing bowl combine pumpkin purée, coconut flour, arrowroot powder, baking powder and spices. 

In a separate bowl whisk 6 eggs completely. 
Add the eggs to the large bowl and mix well.

Pour in maple syrup and melted coconut oil stir thoroughly. 

Measure a 1/4 cup of batter into each muffin cup. 

Sprinkle topping over each muffin.


Bake 25-30 minutes. My first 2 batches cooked for 25 minutes exactly. The second one 30 minutes. Both turned out well. Most importantly keep an eye on them around 20 minutes as some ovens run hotter. 

If you liked this recipe, have any questions, comments; please post your comment below. 
                Thanks for Reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment